"Friendship is born the moment when one person says to another, What! You too? I thought I was the only one!" - C.S. Lewis

Monday, October 18, 2010

Where I came from and where running has brought me today

Wanted a place to ad my thoughts on my runs and active lifestyle. Not everyone can appreciate these types of posts.... running tends to cause many of my friends to yawn or their eyes glaze over as soon as the topic comes up.  Having a place to just write will be nice.  Lets see... a little background about me.

My very first race was in September of 2009.  I had decided in February of that year that i really wanted to lose some weight and get healthier.  My clothes were too tight and i didnt feel good about myself.  I ended up losing a little over 30 lbs between then and September.  I had thrown around the idea of running a 5k race- however i was not a runner, nor did i enjoy running.  I just thought it might be a cool thing to try.  I had some friends who were running a race in september and asked if i wanted to join... so i commited to run it as well.  The main reason i followed through and ran it was because it benefited prostate cancer research.  I ran it in 27:33 and honestly couldnt even catch my breath afterwards.  It was crazy.  For some reason.... i was hooked after that.  I went on to dive right into the 5k scene and loved racing.  My friend and i found ourselves at races just about every weekend throughout the fall and winter.  I got my time down to as low as 21:50. 

I then decided to move on to bigger races.  I ran a half marathon in May 2010, June 2010, and September 2010.  I also signed up for a marathon.  It was 10-10-10.  I thought that would be the best day to run my first marathon!

Two sundays ago, i ran my marathon in Scranton PA.  I loved just about every minute of it with exception of mile 19-20.5.   I finished my very first marathon strong and ran it in 3:37:09.  This was good enough to qualify my for the Boston Marathon in April of next year!!!  I was estatic ( and still am).


There is a little bit of background for you.  Wanted to at least share some of that for those interested in knowing a little bit about where i came from and what i am working with.  Running is truly something that i had never been interested in or been a part of growing up or throughout school.  It really seems to be something that comes naturally to me... it keeps me sane and challenged.  Its incredible to do something that i love.... but also benefits my health both physically and mentally!

No comments:

Post a Comment